Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quote of the Day

Something strange happened this evening. Let me preface. For those of you who know me, you're well aware that during a deep/philosophical life conversation I spare no opportunity to insert a "plant analogy". For those of you who are wondering what this wonderful quoted phrase refers to, well, brace yourselves...it refers to some correlation between some aspect of life and the plant kingdom (usually a fruit-bearing tree, or, if I'm especially on my game I'll mention a bush, vegetable, or even a lowly (disenfranchised) plant, such as a weed.) I use these analogies because, let's face it, they are perfect. We are just like trees. Tonight, I was engaged in one of the above-referenced conversations and like a beacon in the night, a "plant analogy" opportunity presented itself. I exclaimed the following gem: "if you forget to water a plant it will grow weak no matter how valid your reason was for neglecting it." I was using this analogy to explain the doctrine of unintended consequences (special thanks to barbri for the vernacular). As I continued with my marvelous analogy my counterpart said, with deeply disturbing conviction, "Ashkan, you are not a plant." I know what you're thinking, and it goes without saying, but i'll say it anyways: how could anyone say such a thing? Upon brief reflection I've realized that there is absolutely no merit to this statement. I've attached photographic evidence to dispel any uncertainty. Case closed.

No comments: